Find out more about Lala&Bea - the ethical family lifestyle brand, designed and made in the UK...
Our story so far...
Lala & Bea co-founders, Caroline Begley (left) and Katie Greatrix (right)
HOW IT ALL BEGAN...
As with all good stories, Lala & Bea's journey started with an alcopop and some cheesy tunes at a halls' party at the start of term. Co-founders Katie and Caroline met at art school (too long ago!), on a fashion design degree course. They clicked immediately and were soon chatting about owning their own brand one day. However, as with most pipe-dreams, life happened and they both got 'proper' jobs - Katie in 'Visual Merchandising' and Caroline in Design. Fast-forward a few years and they both got married (not to one another!) started families and got new jobs but would often find themselves chatting long into the evening about ideas and things they could do together. One day, those pipe-dreams turned into a reality, so they handed in their notice at work and jumped...
Katie and Caroline are focussed and passionate about producing sustainable, ethical and eco-conscious products here in the UK. Their ethos when launching Lala & Bea has always been to ensure that the people they employ are paid fairly for the products they make and that the processes used don't cause unnecessary damage with chemicals or dyes which would endanger the environment or people.
DESIGN & SUSTAINABILITY
Lala & Bea design practical but fun products, making and manufacturing as many of their designs as possible in family-run factories in the UK. They work closely with their suppliers and meet many of the people who physically make their products to ensure the highest standard of manufacturing. They are
a proud member of the Made in Britain campaign and you can find them
on the Make it British directory.
Inspired by fun pattern, colour and adventure Lala & Bea aim to create products which children will want to wear and parents can love too; creating pieces which will last the rigours of family life and that you would want to pass on - creating quality, sustainable pieces that standout in our 'throwaway' fashion culture.
ORGANIC SKINCARE FOR ALL THE FAMILY...
The Lala & Bea 'Organic Family Skincare' range has been designed to be suitable for use by all the family - creating multi-use products that have been produced to the highest organic standards... and that actually work, too!
"Working with Marion, the amazingly talented Medical Herbalist from Brighton Apothecary, to create our range was a dream come true for us," explains Lala & Bea co-founder, Caroline.
"Marion's degree background in Pharmacology at UCL, teamed with her Herbalist Medicine degree, plus the fact she's a mother of two, makes her expertise second-to-none and the perfect choice for Lala & Bea," agrees co-founder, Katie.
"The design and production process was fun; tweaking and developed the products until we felt they were 100% with the texture, fragrance and importantly performance," says Caroline.
"Once we knew the products were the best they could be we added beautiful packaging (UK sourced) and matt vinyl stickers (so they don't soak up any oils from the product and disintegrate) to create our initial 'Organic Family Skincare' range. We are over the moon with it, and genuinely use it daily ourselves and on our children.
"It was great fun to develop, adding a little more of this, a bit less of that until we had the perfect products. We will be developing more products to add to the range later this year," adds Katie.
'NO NASTIES' CREDENTIALS
- Lala & Bea skincare is free from parabens.
- Using natural and organic ingredients.
- Including UK-grown ingredients where possible.
- The 'Organic Family Skincare' range has been developed with a medical herbalist to ensure they are as nourishing and healing as possible for use by the entire family.
- Lala & Bea skincare will never be tested on animals and all ingredients and packaging come from natural and sustainable sources.
All Lala & Bea products have been safety certified. Please contact us if you would like more details regarding this.
NUT ALLERGIES - Please note the use of Almond nut oil in our Nourish Oil.
The 'Organic Family Skincare' products can also be purchased from the Brighton Apothecary store.
"The design and production process was fun; tweaking and developed the products until we felt they were 100% with the texture, fragrance and importantly performance," Caroline - co-founder, Lala & Bea
THE BENEFITS OF MERINO WOOL...
Super-soft and naturally breathable yarn. It's better for the environment too - no sheep were harmed in the making of our products!
- Merino is excellent at regulating body temperature, especially when worn against the skin. The wool provides some warmth, without overheating the wearer. It draws moisture away from the skin as well as being slightly moisture repellent.
- Like cotton, wool absorbs water (up to 1/3 its weight), but, unlike cotton, wool retains warmth when wet.
- Like most wools, merino contains lanolin, which has antibacterial properties.
- Merino is one of the softest types of wool available due to finer fibres and smaller 'scales', giving it its smooth texture.
- Merino has an excellent warmth-to-weight ratio compared to other wools, trapping body heat similar to the way a sleeping bag warms its occupant, without the bulk.